Press Association Art Of Logistics heads ante-post lists following successive wins at Punchestown in May and June, but he has yet to win over further than two miles and two furlongs and he faces an extra half mile in the 200,000 euro feature. Golden Wonder, on the other hand, is proven at the trip, having won over the course and distance in a beginners chase at last year’s Galway Festival, but Hughes admits his Irish Grand National runner-up would prefer more testing conditions. “The thing is I want good ground for Art Of Logistics and I want cut in the ground for the other horse. I’m sure they’ll water overnight and the ground will be safe, so hopefully Golden Wonder will handle it all right. He does need some cut,” said the trainer. “Art Of Logistics goes there in good form and nothing he’s been doing suggests he won’t stay. He looked beaten four out at Punchestown the last day over two miles and two, but he ended up winning well. If he does get the trip he’d have to have a serious chance. “Golden Wonder is a course and distance winner and he’s the right horse for the job as long as the ground is all right.” JP McManus has won the race on six occasions, including the last two with Bob Lingo and Carlingford Lough, and this year the leading owner has seven runners in the field of 22, plus second reserve Jacksonslady. McManus’ racing manager Frank Berry said: “It’s great to have a few runners in the race and fingers crossed the ground is safe for them all. Kid Cassidy has top weight with Jody McGarvey taking 5lb off. He has plenty of weight, but he’s a decent horse on his day and it’s the right race for him. “Alderwood has had a bit of a stop-start season, but Tom Mullins is happy with him coming into the race and AP (McCoy) has chosen him, so hopefully he gives him a good spin. “Vulcanite likes good ground and won his last race over fences in Market Rasen well, but I thought he got a big enough penalty. He’ll like the ground, though, and hopefully he’ll run well for Noel Fehily. “Quantitativeeasing ran a cracker to finish second last year, Enda (Bolger) is very happy with him and hopefully he’ll run a good race. Rum And Butter probably has his share of weight for what he’s done, but hopefully he’ll go well. It’s A Gimme won the Summer Plate in Market Rasen well the other day. We’d probably prefer another week or two, but it’s a big pot and it’s worth a go. “Wise Old Owl ran a cracker in this a few years ago, but he hasn’t had much racing since. We’re just keeping out fingers crossed for a good run. ” Dessie Hughes is confident both Art Of Logistics and Golden Wonder are capable of making their presence felt in Wednesday’s thetote.com Galway Plate.
Press Association Sir Alex Ferguson believes managers are not blooding enough young home-grown players because they live in fear of getting the sack. The likes of David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and the Neville brothers graduated from the Manchester United youth set up and became first-team stars during Ferguson’s spell in charge at Old Trafford. But with so much money involved in top-flight football now, the Scot thinks managers are reluctant to gamble on academy products. Ferguson told ITV News: “There needs to be a cultural change in our game to allow managers the time to breathe, to develop a system where the supporters are going ‘Yeah, we’ve got five young kids for the first team, from the reserve or youth team, into the first team’. “That would be great. Progress of the game. And it would benefit the English team.” Ferguson, speaking on the day his new book ‘Leading’ was published, seemed to agree with FA chairman Greg Dyke’s claim that home-grown players were becoming an “endangered species”. “He has a point, there is no question about that, and I think we’d like to see more home-grown talent,” Ferguson said. “Give them the proper platform, proper drive, I think anything is possible.” In order to improve the state of the national game, Dyke is considering raising the quota of home-grown players in Premier League squads from eight to 12. “I think nothing is wrong with that,” Ferguson said. “He’s got the authority certainly to be listened to, there’s no question of that. “Getting the consensus from other clubs will be more difficult because there’s a pressure on the managers to get the results, which means sometimes he tosses his beliefs out the window because he wants to keep his job.” During the interview with ITV, Ferguson also defended the huge salaries clubs pay to their players nowadays. “I’ve no problem with what the top players get paid,” he said.
HAMILTON, Bermuda (CMC) – Ebony Clarke scored in each half as Jamaica beat Bermuda 2-1 in their CONCACAF Caribbean Women’s Under-20 Group B qualifier at the National Stadium here on Sunday night.The Reggae Girlz went into Sunday’s group decider with a superior goal difference over the hosts after trouncing Curaçao 10-0 on Friday night, following Bermuda’s 5-1 win over the same opponents two days earlier. St Lucia’s late withdrawal had reduced the group to three teams.Canada-based Clarke put the well-organised visitors ahead in the third minute with a shot from the edge of the box that flew past goalkeeper Micah Pond, who frustrated the visitors with a string of fine saves during the game watched by more than 2 000 fans.Deshae Darrell drew Bermuda level on the hour when she outpaced the Jamaican defence to stroke the ball past advancing goalkeeper Sydney Scheider.Parity lasted only five minutes, however, before Clarke scored the winner for the visitors.Jamaica will now join hosts St Kitts and Nevis and the other two group winners from Haiti and Dominican Republic in the final qualifying stage in November ahead of the 2018 championship.Jamaica captain Emily Caza admitted her side were caught off-guard by Bermuda’s quality.“We always felt confident of achieving our goal,” she said afterwards.“We knew if we worked hard we would have enough to win, although I’ll admit we, maybe, underestimated Bermuda a bit.“The early goal took the pressure off but we were still frantic at the beginning because of the competition they gave us.”Bermuda captain Eva Frazzoni struggled to hold back tears after the final whistle but said she believed she and her team-mates had won the hearts of the fans who packed into the stadium’s main stand.“We left everything out there and we really thought it was our time,” the midfielder said. “It’s really hard to not make it through.”
Hilda Namutosi, the school head teacher says that most sports students have become reluctant to continue with their classroom routines and instead opted for curricular activities.“Sporting activities are essential as they make children healthy and busy but my only challenge is that, despite the set sports schedules, students abandon daily classroom routines which has led to poor performance and discouraged parents supporting professionalization of such activities in the school,” added Namutosi.*****URNShare on: WhatsApp FILE PHOTO: Joshua Kiprui CheptegeiKampala, Uganda | THE INDEPENDENT | Uganda’s IAAF 10,000 meter gold medalist, Joshua Cheptegei says that the sports industry in the country is growing at a slow pace due to inexperienced and unprofessional leaders governing the industry.Speaking to journalists after addressing students at his former school MM College Wairaka in Jinja district on Saturday, Cheptegei said that the industry should be left to the country’s former champions and ex-internationals to manage.He made it clear that former champions and ex-internationals can closely relate with the challenges in the sport other than politicians whose interests are far away from those of sportsmen and women.Cheptegei argues that unlike other professions where scholars can use the knowledge acquired in class and excel, be believes that because sports is practical only those that faced the hurdles involved in it can set better policies for the industry.He further advised the education ministry to prioritize sports activities in all schools by offering professional skills to the different sports masters and coaches which will nurture the industry from the grassroots.
5 May 2019 McMahon triumphs in Lytham Trophy Tags: elite golf, Lytham Trophy England’s Josh McMahon holed out from 40ft on the last to claim the biggest title of his career in the Lytham Trophy at a windswept Royal Lytham & St Annes.The 22-year-old from Wallasey, Cheshire, had started the final day five shots out of the lead after opening rounds of 71 and 73. But, after adding another 73 in the third round, he finished with birdies on 16 and 18 for a final round 71.It took him to eight-over par and, after an anxious wait, gave him a one-shot victory over Austria’s Gerold Folk, and Englishmen Jack Brooks and Harry Goddard.“That finish was unbelievable,” McMahon said after watching his nearest rivals come up just short. “I gave myself a lot to do when I bogeyed 14 and then double bogeyed 15 but a birdie on 16 settled me back down and the birdie on 18 was the icing on the cake.“That putt on the last was certainly the most important 40-footer I have ever holed in my life. This is such a big tournament and hopefully the win will open a few doors for me. I will certainly remember it for a long time to come.“I’m exhausted,” he added. “This is such a tough course and it drains you playing it. You’re always under pressure. You’ve just got to try to keep hitting fairways and greens and try not to run up big numbers. But that is a lot easier said than done.”His win keeps the trophy in Cheshire hands, following the 2018 success of Royal Liverpool’s Matthew Jordan.The best golf of the last day came from Austrian international Folk who was nine shots off the pace after starting out with rounds of 73 and 75 but then posted a 72 and a 69 which also included a birdie on his final hole.The final day ultimately proved to be a big disappointment for Goddard, from Hanbury Manor, Hertfordshire. He was in or around the lead for much of the final two rounds and looked all set for a play-off with McMahon when he hit a glorious shot out of a bunker on the last. However he went on to miss from three-feet and had to settle for a 72 that left him one shot short.Brooks, from Mere in Cheshire, has not played the Lytham Trophy for several years but that did not stop him closing with rounds of 71 and 72 to climb fifteen places up the leaderboard into the tie for second place. “It has been a good day irrespective of what happens,” he said while warming up in case he found himself in a play-off. “I’m delighted with the way I played.”Yorkshire’s Bailey Gill (Lindrick) and Ben Hutchinson (Howley Hall) finished sixth and eighth respectively.Click here for full scores
By Liz SheehanSEA BRIGHT—As the fourth anniversary of the devastating October 2012 Super Storm Sandy approaches, borough voters on Tuesday overwhelmingly approved three bond issues that will fund the replacement of the firehouse, police headquarters and library that were lost to the storm, as well as the existing Borough Hall.It has been a bumpy road for the bonds, which were passed in a 4-2 Borough Council vote in June, but then faced a referendum after a petition signed by qualified registered voters met the threshold to require a vote on the bonds.Mayor Dina Long said at the Borough Hall after the results of the vote were announced, “I’m happy and relieved. It’s very gratifying for me that so many people turned out to vote.”“I see it as an approval of the concepts” of the town’s plans for the new buildings, she said. “I don’t see it as a mandate to spend.”Critics of the bond issue, including Borough Council President Jack Keeler and Councilman John Lamia Jr., who had voted against the $5.7 million bond issue when it was approved by the council, said the proposed $13 million project was too costly and should be scaled down.The bonds were for the portion of the costs of the project the town would finance; the other funds would be provided by insurance, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and a beach settlement.Earlier this month, the council passed a resolution in response to residents’ concerns about the bond issues that said if the referendum passed, the town would immediately obtain a review architect to address savings in the project’s costs and to set a cost that was not be exceeded by the project.The bond issue on the ballot that provided for the construction of a community center was approved by a vote of 329 to 166, with 11 yes and 3 no absentee votes. The related bond issue for the building of a beach facility was passed with a 330 to 164 vote, with 10 yes and 4 no absentee votes.Both these bonds needed approval to allow the construction of a single, 8,609-square-foot building that would replace both the town’s library and the beach facility, with a second level for Borough Council and other town meetings and an area that could be rented out for public events.The bond issue that provides funds for a second building of 14,187 square feet to replace the police headquarters, fire house and first aid quarters and for the borough’s administration functions and storage of records, was approved by a 339 to 157 vote, with 9 yes and 5 no absentee votes.The vote count, which was unofficial, was given when the polls were closed. There are 1,172 registered voters in the borough, according to Borough Clerk Christine Pfeiffer.Joseph Verruni, the acting administrator for the borough said Wednesday that the town would now move ahead on the project. He said the reason the referendum was held in October instead of waiting for the November general election was that FEMA had to be notified by the end of October of what plans the borough had for the project.He said the first spending on the new buildings, after a bid is accepted and costs established, would be from FEMA and insurance funds and then temporary funding, before the bonds would be issued.Verruni said the costs of the project should not be reflected in taxes until 2018 or 2019.Councilman Brian Kelly said in a council meeting when discussing the proposal that the projected cost would result in an increase of two cents per hundred dollars of assessed valuation.Several voters entering the Borough Hall to vote said they were in favor of the bonds.Stephen Cashmore said “I have questions,” and would have to read the explanation on the ballot before voting. “Overall, I think it is a good idea.”“There’s plenty of room for growth in this town for moving forward. We might as well do it right now. I’m for it,” said Sean Daly. “I just want to see the town build again.”“I feel very positive about it. I feel Sea Bright is making great strides in moving ahead,” said Nancy McBride.And Jane Havard said, “I’m going to vote for it.”But two women who were talking outside of Borough Hall said they did not want to comment because there was too much vitriol around the issue in the town.After the vote was announced, Marianne McKenzie, who has expressed her concern at council meetings about the size and cost of the project and the bond issues, said that the referendum had served the purpose of engaging the residents in the process of rebuilding the lost facilities and also putting in place the cost cutting measures, such as appointing a review architect and setting a cap on the price of the project.