One year laterBy: Davina RamdassAnzan Ledoux, 19, was shot to his face in 2018 while trying to protect his family members during an attempted robbery at their Good Hope, East Coast Demerara home and today, although he still wears the scar of bravery, the young man is more than grateful that he is alive.The injured young man, Anzan LedouxAnzan Ledoux showing a scar he collected near his ear from the bulletRecognising that many do not survive a gunshot wound, especially to the face, the heroic young man, who has grown to become an even braver soul, in an interview with Guyana Times on Tuesday at his home, recalled that he was having an afternoon “hang” with his family members just outside of his home when he observed two strange men on motorcycles riding through their street at around 21:15h on August 11, 2018.The men had slowed down in front of their home but rode towards the head of the street and returned at full speed.Recognising that something was amiss, relatives started to rush into the house and close the gates. It was young Ledoux who ensured that all of his relatives, including a five-year-old child, entered the yard before the men reached their home.In his bid to lock his gates, young Ledoux attempted to fight off the two men, who had already rushed to the fence. It was reported that the young man struck one of the bandits to his hand, causing him to whip out a gun and fire a shot in the teen’s direction, which struck him to the face and caused him to fall onto the concrete ground.Anzan, who is now 21, said he could not remember anything that happened after he was shot, except that he woke up in the hospital not knowing what had happened. The young man had suffered a broken jaw and underwent surgery to have it rectified. He was hospitalised for about five days before he returned to the comforts of his home.His mother, Gangadai Jairam, told Guyana Times that she thought she had lost her son the moment she heard the gunshot. She recalled that she started to scream with tears streaming down her cheeks as she rushed towards her son, who was covered in blood.According to her, the young man had blood rushing through his nose, ears and mouth. But although an entire year has passed, the family said their entire life has changed as they are still fearful and traumatised after the incident.“We were traumatised for months. It was hard cause every time we keep closing the gates. Every time we see motorbikes pass, cars pass, we always scared”. While Ledoux’s mother is still fearful, the woman said she is unable to express in words how grateful she is that her son has been given a second chance at life. “I thank God for that cause he protected all of us. If those men came in they probably could’ve shoot up more of us because was 10 or 11 of us out there that night,” the woman stated.While the young man’s life had been saved, doctors were not certain if he would have been able to hear again, due to the severe injuries he had sustained. Ledoux’s mother was happy to report that her son now lives a normal life.The woman, however, explained that although his life was not majorly impacted by the incident, loud noises still affect him, given that near his ear was partially damaged by the bullet. “He usually gets bad migraine when there is like loud music and so but other than that, he is quite healthy,” the happy mother reported.No closure on investigationAlthough CCTV footage was reviewed and Police tried their best to tie the ends of this investigation, it was never done.Jairam told this publication that officers called several times to check up on the family and relatives were even summoned to the police station to hopefully identify the suspects but they were unable to.The distraught woman said that although the men on the motorcycle were not masked, the family was too worried about their safety to take note of the men’s features.In the meantime, the woman explained that the family has taken some initiatives to ensure that their safety is ensured. One of these measures includes adding more cameras, especially one at their gate.
He subsequently underwent surgery and has now returned to training.Having lost their two opening Premier League matches this season and conceding five goals, Koscielny will be a welcome boost when he finally returns to action.Speaking at his press conference ahead of facing West Ham this weekend, Emery said: “He’s working very hard. He came back to us last Sunday.“We are happy to have him here with us, because he’s our captain and he’s showing us his spirit to stay with us. We need to be patient with him because the injury was an important injury.“It’s clear that it’s very important to stay with us, working here and showing us that he wants to help us.”0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000The 32-year-old France international centre-back has been sidelined since May with an Achilles tendon injury.LONDON, United Kingdom, Aug 24 – Unai Emery is delighted with the progress made by captain Laurent Koscielny as he bids to return to full fitness.The 32-year-old France international centre-back has been sidelined since May with an Achilles tendon injury.
Oileán na Marbh is this SundayJimmy Duffy’s Annagry Community NotesWAR COMMEMORATIONThose from the Lower Rosses who died as a result of World Wars will be commemorated at a series of events to be held in Annagry Community Hall. The commemoration will begin on Monday evening August 25th with an Ecumenical Service at 7.30pm, followed by the opening of a 5 day exhibition run in conjunction with Donegal County Museum. On Wednesday August 27th at 7.30pm a memorial will be unveiled in Kincasslagh Cemetery. On Saturday August 30th there will be a unique display of photos, medals, diaries, letters etc relating to the local men who fought. In this area a heavy price was paid with thirty six men known to have died in the WW1, several more in WW2 along with the civilian victims of the Ballymanus Mine in May 1943. In all it is estimated that many hundreds of persons were caught up in the upheaval in some way or another. If you have material that you would like to display contact 087 1935066 or email [email protected] Personal memorabilia will be displayed for only one day only in a secure environment. PRAYER SERVICEThe annual prayer service on Oileán na Márbh Carrickfin will be held on Sunday August 17th at 3.30pm. In the 19th century Oileán na Márbh was the final resting place for many unbaptised from the locally.SYMPATHYSympathy of the community is extended to the relatives and friends of Teresa McMonagle Meenaleck, James Ferry Kerrytown, Annie Boyle Mullaghduff and Sarah McGarvey Ranafast who have recently passed to their eternal reward. May they rest in peace. CHURCH GATE COLLECTIONNaomh Muire CLG wish to thank all who subscribed to their recent collections. The monies collected was as follows; Kincasslagh Church €294 and Annagry Church €423. The monies raised will go the ongoing underage development within the club.LOTTOThere was no winner of the €1640 jackpot in the Naomh Muire Club Lotto for August 6th.The number drawn were 1-8-10-16. Sadie Sharkey Glen Road Annagry, Kathleen McGinley Calhame, Nele Herron Ranafast, Johnny Gillespie Braade and John Michael O’Donnell Meenaleck matched 3 numbers. The jackpot on August 13th is €1700. If you’re not in, you can’t win! DD LOCAL: ANNUAL OILEÁN NA MARBH PRAYER SERVICE was last modified: August 13th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Annagry newscarrickfinoileán na marbh