A pharmacology professor at the Gadjah Mada University (UGM) medical school has become the second confirmed case of COVID-19 in Yogyakarta, local authorities confirmed on Wednesday.The professor, identified only as ID, is currently being treated at Dr Sarjito Central General Hospital in the special province.”We urge people who have been in contact with [ID] in the last three weeks to get tested for the coronavirus at the nearest healthcare facility,” UGM vice rector for cooperation and alumni Paripurna Poerwoko Sugarda said at a press conference on Wednesday. “We have been granted permission from ID’s family to inform [the public] that he has tested positive for COVID-19,” he added, and that the university was communicating closely with the professor’s family as it continued to provide support for him and his family.Paripurna said that the professor’s family had expressed their hope that the announcement would prompt people who had been in contact with him to be more vigilant about their health and be alert to any symptoms they might develop.”I believe this announcement is the family’s good intention to protect his colleagues and friends,” he added.Yogyakarta COVID-19 spokeswoman Berty Murtiningsih said that ID’s close contacts were currently being traced. She confirmed that the UGM professor was the second confirmed case in the province, and that the first confirmed case was a 3-year-old who was also being treated at Dr Sardjito hospital. “The first patient’s condition is improving. After treatment, he has tested negative for the coronavirus, but he still needs another test before he can be declared healthy,” Berty said.Yogyakarta Governor Hamengku Buwono X has urged local residents to practice prevention measures, including frequently washing their hands with soap and water, to curb the spread of COVID-19 in the province.”After two people have tested positive for COVID-19, we hope the number will not rise [further],” said the governor, who is also the Sultan of Yogyakarta.The Yogyakarta pandemic prevention and treatment command center has tested samples from 31 residents to March 18. Fourteen tests came back negative and two tested positive, while the center was still waiting for the results of the remaining 15 samples.Indonesia has reported 227 confirmed cases to date. (nal)Topics :
— Tokyo organizers say they have no “PlanB” for the Olympics if they need to be postponed again. They say they are proceeding under the assumption the Olympics will open on July 23, 2021. That date was set last month by the IOC and Japanese officials after the spreading coronavirus pandemic made it clear the Olympics could not be held as scheduled.— The mother of Minnesota Timberwolves center Karl-Anthony Towns has died due to complications from COVID-19. Jacqueline Cruz-Towns had been fighting the virus for more than a month. The native of the Dominican Republic was a fixture at Timberwolves games from the start of her son’s NBA career in 2015. Karl Towns Sr., the father of the two-time All-Star, was also hospitalized with the virus but has since recovered.,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 In other college basketball news:— Florida will have its top scorer back next season. Forward Keyontae Johnson announced on social media Tuesday that he plans to return for his junior year with the Gators, a huge boost for coach Mike White’s program. Johnson averaged 14.0 points a game to lead the team in scoring, and was second in rebounding. He also led the team in steals with 38, was second in 3-point shooting at 38% and ranked third in assists with 49. He played his best basketball down the stretch, notching five double-doubles in Florida’s final nine games before the coronavirus pandemic canceled most of the postseason.NFL-CHARGERS-PARHAMChargers sign former XFL tight end Donald Parham Jr.COSTA MESA, Calif. (AP) — Donald Parham Jr., who led XFL tight ends in yards and receptions, has signed a multi-year contract with the Los Angeles Chargers, the team said Tuesday. Update on the latest sports Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditNASCAR-LARSON FIREDLarson fired over slurCHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Kyle Larson has been fired by Chip Ganassi Racing, a day after nearly every one of his sponsors dropped the star driver for using a racial slur during a live stream of a virtual race. Hank Steinbrenner dead at 63UNDATED (AP) — New York Yankees co-owner Hank Steinbrenner has died. The oldest son of George Steinbrenner was 63. The team said he died at home in Clearwater, Florida, due to a long-standing health issue.Hank Steinbrenner was one of the four siblings who own the team’s controlling shares. He had hoped to succeed as father as the team’s controlling owner. Between the 2007 and 2008 seasons, he became the public voice of the Yankees ownership. He didn’t appear to have much involvement in the team’s operations in recent years and devoted more time to racing interests.In other baseball news:— Former big league manager Jim Frey has died at age 88. Frey managed the Kansas City Royals to the 1980 AL pennant and the Chicago Cubs within one win of the 1984 World Series. Frey became friends in high school with future big league Don Zimmer, then spent 14 years in the minor leagues without reaching the majors. His 1980 Royals swept the Yankees in the ALCS, then lost to Philadelphia in a six-game World Series. His Cubs wasted a 2-0 lead against San Diego in the 1984 NLCS. COLLEGE BASKETBALL-NEWSKentucky’s Richards is fourth player to enter NBA draftUNDATED (AP) — Kentucky forward Nick Richards will enter the NBA draft and forego his final season of collegiate eligibility by signing with an agency.He’s coming off a breakout season in which he was named a first team All-Southeastern Conference selection by The Associated Press and league coaches. His per-game scoring average increased 10 points this season to 14.0 while starting 30 of 31 contests to help the Wildcats earn the SEC regular season title. Richards also ranked fourth nationally in shooting at 64% and made the SEC all-defensive squad with averages of 7.8 rebounds and 2.13 blocks per game.Richards’ announcement comes a day after leading scorer Immanuel Quickley declared for the draft. Guards Ashton Hagans on Sunday and Tyrese Maxey turned pro last week. Larson was in his seventh Cup season with Ganassi and had been prepping to test free agency for the first time. Just weeks ago, the 27-year-old was considered the top free agent in NASCAR. Now he is out of a job in what could ultimately be an eight-figure blunder.The unraveling began Sunday night when Larson was competing in one of the iRacing virtual events drivers are playing during the sports stoppage caused by the coronavirus pandemic. Larson appeared to lose communication on his headset with his spotter. During a check of his microphone, he asked his spotter, “You can’t hear me?” That was followed by the N-word. The slur from Larson was directed at his spotter, who is white.He was suspended without pay by Ganassi early Monday, then suspended indefinitely by NASCAR and Larson, who is half Japanese, was ordered to complete a sensitivity training. But his entire program fell apart as primary sponsors McDonalds and Credit One Bank pulled their funding from Larson. Chevrolet suspended its relationship with him, and all but one commercial partner denounced Larson’s comment and indicated they were ending their relationship.Ganassi says it decided to end its relationship with Larson when “it became obvious that this was the only appropriate course of action to take.” It called Larson’s comments “offensive and unacceptable especially given the values of our organization.”MLB-NEWS Associated Press The event, due to take place at Sunningdale from July 23-26, is the fourth of the five senior majors to lose its scheduled place on the calendar because of the pandemic. R&A official Johnnie Cole-Hamilton says organizers are looking at alternative options to host the tournament “later in the year if at all possible.”Word of the postponement comes a week after the regular British Open was called off for the first time since 1945. It’s been moved to next July so it can still be held at Royal St. George’s.The Senior PGA Championship and the U.S. Senior Open have been canceled, while the Regions Tradition has been rescheduled for Sept. 24-27 from early May. The Senior Players Championship, scheduled for Firestone Country Club in Ohio from July 9-12, hasn’t been called off yet.In other developments related to the coronavirus pandemic:— The Tour de France won’t begin as planned because French President Emmanuel Macron (eh-mahn-yoo-EHL’ mah-KROHN’) has canceled all public events with large crowds through mid-July in response to the coronavirus pandemic. Tour organizers say it is now impossible for the three-week race to start on June 27 in the Riviera city of Nice as scheduled. It is unclear if cycling’s biggest event will be scrapped from the race calendar. New plans are likely to be announced before the end of the month following consultations with the governing body of cycling. Parham had 24 receptions for 307 yards and four touchdowns for the Dallas Renegades before the XFL season ended due to the coronavirus pandemic. Parham was also the only tight end in the league to have a 100-yard receiving game.Parham spent time with the Detroit Lions and Washington Redskins during the offseason last year.VIRUS OUTBREAK-SPORTSBritish Senior Open postponedUNDATED (AP) — The Senior British Open has been postponed amid the coronavirus outbreak, but organizers are still hoping the last senior major of the year can be played in 2020. — The NHL will remain on pause through at least the end of the month. The league on Tuesday announced it was extending its self-quarantine recommendation for players, coaches and staff through April 30. The announcement marks the third time the NHL has pushed back its timetable since suspending play on March 12 because of the new coronavirus. The most recent self-quarantine recommendation was supposed to run through Wednesday. The recommendation means team facilities will remain closed to players. There is no timetable of when play might resume and whether the NHL will be able to complete the regular season or start the playoffs, which could stretch into September. There were 189 games remaining when play was suspended.— Major League Soccer says its hopes of returning in mid-May are “extremely unlikely.” In a statement Tuesday, the league said guidance from federal and local public health officials is making it unlikely the league will be able to restart in about a month. MLS says the goal remains to play as many games as possible, but it’s becoming increasingly difficult to potentially play an entire season even if there are enough dates available. MLS currently has a training moratorium for players through April 24.— Major League Baseball is moving its annual celebration of Jackie Robinson online because of the delay in the season caused by the new coronavirus. The Jackie Robinson Foundation is launching a virtual learning hub to coincide with tomorrow’s 73rd anniversary of Robinson breaking the major league color barrier. CC Sabathia (suh-BATH’-ee-uh) and Harold Reynolds are among the former major leaguers reading excerpts from the book by his daughter, Sharon. The MLB Network and MLB.com will feature Robinson-related programming.— There will be no Golden Spikes Award this year, ending a streak of 42 consecutive seasons. USA Baseball made the announcement Tuesday. It followed the NCAA’s decision to cancel spring sports seasons due to the new coronavirus. Past winners included future NL MVPs Buster Posey, Bryce Harper and Kris Bryant. Bob Horner was the first Golden Spikes winner in 1978.— The University of Cincinnati has eliminated its men’s soccer program as other colleges weigh cutbacks because of budget problems resulting from the coronavirus pandemic. College are grappling with revenue losses from spring sports cancellations, including the NCAA basketball tournament. Eliminating sports is considered a last resort by athletic directors who face difficult choices. Earlier this month, Old Dominion eliminated wrestling as part of its response to the pandemic. Cincinnati athletic director John Cunningham expects other schools to face similar choices because of the uncertainty over fall sports, including football. April 14, 2020
THE world governing body of football, FIFA, has showcased the Guyana Football Federation’s new, nationwide, youth football development programme on its popular social media platforms, sharing images from a GFF-Scotiabank Academy Training Centre (ATC) youth football session with millions of football fans worldwide.FIFA’s corporate Twitter account (www.twitter.com/FIFAcom) has 10.3 million followers, while its corporate Facebook account (www.facebook.com/FIFA) has 3.25 million followers. It is the first time a GFF football development programme has been promoted on these platforms.“We are delighted to have this level of support from FIFA, as it increases public awareness of the progress we are making in football in Guyana,” said GFF president Wayne Forde. “It places Guyana, and its football, in a positive light on the international stage.“We also know the value that sponsors place on the power and reach of social media, and we encourage more organisations and people to come on board as we build towards future success.”The images posted by FIFA show GFF Technical Development Officer Sampson Gilbert and GFF Youth Development coach Challus McKinnon leading a group of Under-17 boys through structured training in the first Georgetown Football Association area session on February 17.On Facebook, FIFA said: “(The) Guyana Football Federation is reforming football in Guyana and focusing on laying foundations for future success through youth/coach development.”The GFF-Scotiabank ATC, managed by GFF Technical Director Ian Greenwood, and an expanded technical development team form a nationwide network designed to discover and more effectively develop talented boys and girls all over.
Join DAZN and watch more than 100 fight nights a yearThe show is almost here so keep checking back here as the card comes together. Plus, Sporting News will have plenty of WWE Survivor Series 2019 coverage on the day of the event.WWE TLC 2019 live streamTV channel: WWE Network (PPV)Live stream: WWE.com/livestream+WWE TLC 2019 will be available via the WWE Network and on pay-per-view.The WWE Network app is available on certain smart TVs – including Samsung, LG, Sony, and Panasonic – as well as Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Kindle Fire, Roku, Google Play, and Chromecast. You can also watch the network on your Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, and PS4 by downloading the app through its stores.What time does WWE TLC 2019 start?Date: Sunday, Dec. 15Time: 6 p.m. ET (preshow) | 7 p.m. ET (main card)Location: Target Center in MinneapolisWWE TLC 2019 will air live on Sunday, Dec. 15, 2019. The pre-show will start at 6 p.m. ET with the main card beginning at 7 p.m. ET.How much does WWE TLC 2019 PPV cost?You can purchase WWE TLC 2019 on pay-per-view through cable and satellite providers including Spectrum, Cox, Xfinity, Verizon FiOS TV, Cable One, Dish Network and DirecTV for $59.99-$69.99.How much are tickets for WWE TLC 2019?Tickets for WWE TLC 2019 are available on Ticketmaster and Stubhub. They range in cost from the cheapest, around $45, to the most expensive tickets above $1,500.WWE TLC 2019 matches— Bray Wyatt vs. The Miz— The New Day vs. The Revival in a Ladder match for the “SmackDown” tag team championship— Roman Reigns vs. King Corbin in a Tables, Ladders, and Chairs match— The Kabuki Warriors vs. Becky Lynch and Charlotte Flair in a TLC match for the “Raw” women’s tag team championship— Rusev vs. Bobby Lashley in a Tables match— The Viking Raiders vs. TBD for the “Raw” tag team championship — Aleister Black vs. Buddy Murphy— Humberto Carrillo vs. Andrade (kickoff show) Get ready for TLC 2019, the final big WWE event of 2019.WWE TLC 2019 will be at the Target Center in Minneapolis on Sunday, Dec. 15 for the event.